Best Free Project Management Software
Project management is the discipline of initiating, planning, executing, controlling and closing the work of a team to achieve goals on time and within the budget. Project management software is a tool that helps project managers to plan, organize, manage resources and develop resource estimates. Some project management software can manage estimation and planning, scheduling, collaboration software, resource allocation, cost control and budget management, decision-making, communication, quality management and documentation or administration systems. There are a lot of project management software available on the market. Below is the best free project management software that you can use for free of charge.
1. GanttProject: Java based project management software
GanttProject is Java based, project management software that runs on Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux operating systems. It is one of the best free project management software alternative to Microsoft Project.
Here are the major features.
- Resource Load Chart.
- Gantt Chart.
- Task Hierarchy and Dependencies.
- Work Breakdown Structure.
- Baselines saving and comparing.
- Generation of PERT Chart, PDF and HTML Reports.
- MS Project import/export with file format MPX and MSPDI.
- Exchange data with spreadsheet applications.
- WebDAV based groupwork, Project file format is XML.
- Vacation and Holidays management.
- It is available in more than 20 languages.
2. ProjectLibre: Open source project management software
ProjectLibre is one of the free project management software alternatives to Microsoft Project software. It is an open source software. It is compatible with Microsoft Project 2003, 2007 and 2010 files. It is one of best free project management software. It runs on Microsoft Windows, Linux, or Mac operating system.
Here are the key features.
- It is compatibility with Microsoft Project 2010.
- It has the better user interface.
- PERT chart, Gantt chart and Network diagram.
- Earned Value Costing.
3. Gantter: Web-based project management software
Gantter is a web-based project management tool. You can think of it as a web-based Microsoft Project. It allows you to plan and estimate your project (duration, work, cost) by splitting the project into a number of tasks; manage project resources (work or material) and assign them to tasks; manage project calendars (set working times, add holidays etc.); review you plan using Gantt chart; manage resource calendars (working times, vacations etc.); review critical tasks; control your project’s progress by setting % complete values to each task. It is one of best free project management software that works with Google Drive. You can also open and edit Microsoft Project files.
4. 2-plan: Open source project management and collaboration
2-plan is a free and open source project management and collaboration software. 2-plan project management software consists of three project management tools. The first one is the 2-plan Desktop, free desktop project management tool. The second one is 2-plan Team, an open-source project software for the collaboration of teams online. The last one is Work 2-gether, a Scrum Board Task Management System.
2-Plan Desktop features:
- Planning features.
- Work Breakdown structure.
- Gantt chart.
- Baseline and Critical Path.
2-plan Team is easy to use open-source, web-based project management tool.
- Manage virtual teams.
- Project tracking system.
- Project time tracking.
- Collaborative project management.
- Manage your mobile project teams via Androids, Blackberry or iPhone.
Work 2-gether is a Scrum task board based on Kanban and Scrum principles for simple project execution that leverage the fastest learning curves. Work 2-gether is so easy to use.
Here are the features of Work 2-gether:
- Organize your work using a mindmap,
- Sticky notes simplicity in the management of tasks requiring a group effort.
- Task-based focus.
- Online discussions per project or task.
- Just-in-time assembly line efficiency.
- Online collaboration per task for rapid task list finishes.
- Pitch in mode team approach to work flow process completion.
- Team-wide participation in project tasks.
5. LibrePlan: Open source project management and collaboration
LibrePlan is a free and open-source collaborative tool. It allows you plan, monitor and control projects. It has a rich web interface which provides a desktop alike user experience. All the team members can take part in the planning and this makes possible to have a real-time planning. It is also a free project management software that you can download, install and customize.
- Group resource allocations – dynamic groups based on criteria.
- Flexible calendars.
- Multi-project management. It offers a global vision of the company managing several projects sharing resources.
- Resource Breakdown Structure chart.
- Configurable Gantt chart from Work Breakdown Structure.
- Overload resource allocation control.
- Cost analysis based on work reports.
- Earned Value Management.
- Other functionalities: materials, quality forms, project templates, planning scenarios, multiple task progress measurements.
See LibrePlan demo.
6. OpenProject: Open source web-based project collaboration
OpenProject is free and open source web-based project collaboration software similar to Microsoft Project. It is licensed under the terms of the GNU General Public License version 3. It supports your project teams throughout the whole project lifecycle and offers collaborative project planning, task management, timeline reports, time and cost reporting, Scrum, and much more. It is fully accessible and ensures data security and privacy. It is also one of best free project management software that you should try.
- Project management and milestones.
- Issue management.
- Project timelines.
- Bug tracking.
- Document management.
- Time tracking.
- Project news.
7. Express Project: Free project management program
Express Project is one of the free project management software as well. It runs on Windows 8.1, XP, Vista, 7, 8 and 10, Mac OS X 10.4.4 or above.
Express Project Features.
- It lets you schedule tasks, assign and level resources.
- It lets you identify key tasks on the Gantt chart using critical path methodology.
- It lets you set task dependencies and constraints for enhanced automatic task scheduling.
- It uses float and slack time visuals for scheduling custom tasks and resources.
- It uses baselines to track before and after changes in your project’s performance.
- It lets you collaborate by sharing Gantt chart information, task and resource details.
- It lets create project level and resource level schedules and calendars.
You can try one of these best free project management software if you can’t afford Microsoft Project or don’t want to spend your money. Some of these project management software offer paid version with more features.